Saturday, November 14, 2009

Math as a Freedom Source

An ongoing dialog

Math gives you freedom because it takes freedom to learn it. Learning math makes you ask questions all the time, like: "What do we have here?" "What could that possibly mean?" "Have we seen something like that before?" "How can I get that?" "How can I figure the answer to that?" "Am I supposed to do something here?" "What would happen if I do this operation?" "Am I off the mark? How far off?" "How can I tell the difference?" "Is there a shortcut for this?" “Does it always work the same way?" and so on and so forth, ad infinitum.
Questions bring answers, and they also bring more questions. Being able to ask questions all the time means the society of ideas that is your mind tends to be pretty open, fluid, flexible, and dynamic. You find ways to free up your mind to ask more questions, and to keep searching for the answers.

No comments: