Sunday, March 30, 2008

Solving the Rubik's Cube Puzzle

Step-by-step solution in a couple of YouTube videos by Dan Brown.

I just signed-up to YouTube yesterday, and this post is mostly meant as practice for myself posting videos into my blog.
While exploring YouTube’s archives I found a few videos about solving the Rubik’s Cube puzzle. Rubik’s cube is one of my favorites puzzles because it is closely related to both Group Theory and Graph Theory, branches of modern math. Playing with Rubik’s cube also helps somehow develop one’s intuition about the Cartesian (x, y, z) coordinate system in 3-D space.
In the two videos below, Dan Brown incorporates a little algebraic notation to precisely describe a few sequences he uses in his general solution of the Rubik’s cube.
So far I have not used Rubik’s cube as a teaching aid in any of my tutoring sessions, so this post really does not necessarily have a lot to do with tutoring but I decided to include it anyway because the puzzle does have to do with math, and it is fun.
I hope you will enjoy the videos!

P.S. After loading these first videos I decided to search for other videos with content related to that of my previous posts, so I will be including some more videos in those older posts too.


No comments: