Thursday, October 25, 2007

Some Funny Comments and Questions.

From some of my students

Following below are a few questions and comments made by some of my students in the last year or so. They are all from different students, and they are unrelated to each other. The only thing they have in common is that I found them very funny at the time I heard them, maybe in part because of the student voices or facial expressions when they made them. Anyway, I quote them here in case you find them interesting:

“Are these all the primes there are? Or, is there any prime bigger than 13?”

“How can you stand so much math? My head hurts!”

“You are just fascinated with this stuff, aren’t you?”

“When I see logarithms I just freeze.”

“What is e to the negative x square? I don’t like ‘e’s! ‘e’s always confuse me.”

“Yes, a big number minus a small number we know how to do that, and a small number minus a big number is possible only if it’s money, or something like it.”

“Negative numbers are evil!!!”

“Wait! You just set those two values equal to each other! Why? Are you allowed to do that? How do you know you can do that?”

“Wow! All that math just to get a result equal to zero? That doesn’t make any sense!”

“I hope I will never see you again. I mean, don’t get me wrong; it’s nothing personal. You are a nice guy, and I am grateful for all your help but man, if I pass this test, I am never going to open another math book in my life again, ever!”

“I just feel like school is sucking my life away!”

“So, do you have a real job or you just tutor?”

No comments: